Update on forced bulbs:
Back on Sept 17, I started my first attempt to force spring bulbs for winter blooms.
By late Nov., they’d begun to sprout, and since it was cold enough outside, they came out of the fridge, freeing up food space, and went out on the back porch.
I’m pleased to be able to report that I have flowers.
The branches around the periphery are holding up the weak stems. The day the first bloom appeared, it fell right over under its own weight. Since I don’t have a lot of bright light indoors, plants that prefer more light tend to get quite leggy, and always need some kind of support. I cut off a few branches from spirea out front, complete with winterized blooms, and just stuffed them into the edges and available spaces through the centre. Looks a little like this:
So here it is 2016, and I plan to write more design-related posts. Stay tuned for posts on “Gabion” walls, wildlife habitat, top trends, winter planning, trees. And of course more.
If there’s a topic you want me to cover, let me know in Comments.
Would love to hear your comments. Go to Client Site Analysis page for design help.